16 March 2010

Versailles


We went to Versailles today. It was wonderful. And crowded. I don't like crowds much. Sorry.

The Chateau itself has a lot of gold and paintings. And tons of dust. I'll tell you what, if your occupation is dusting, apply here. THEY NEED YOU!


Most of the paintings and sculptures were absolutely beautiful. Their apartments were lush but of course they were because we're talking about kings and queens of France. What else do you expect?




Here we visited the hall of mirrors inside the Chateau and tried to take a picture of us. It *kinda* worked. I mean, we're in there aren't we?


After we visited the Chateau we went to eat lunch. The above picture is not where we ate lunch, it's Marie Antoinette's house where she pretended to be a peasant. But I do have to say something about lunch. The French people have eating down. As Americans we eat too quickly, don't enjoy what we're eating (or the company) and move on so we can play our video games. Every meal we have eaten here has taken at least 1 1/2 hours and they have all been very enjoyable and the waiters and waitresses don't rush you out so they can get more tips. I love it! They have machines that they bring to your table to swipe your card there in front of you which is another wonderful idea! We're also finding that so many of the French people really are kind although they are private. So to sum it up, I like the way the French eat!

If you hadn't noticed in the above pictures, it's kinda cool here in Paris and all that's around are bare trees and dead leaves. And even though it's all brown, it's still very beautiful!




There's some green! I had to really edit this one to get it looking that green, btw. This is still on the grounds of the Chateau, their gardens are huge! You could rent a golf cart to get you through the gardens they were so big but when Chris' eyes got real big and he mentioned a race and something about driving off the stairs and in the water I decided the walk wasn't so bad.

My camera's still new enough that we're protective of it and don't really want to be handing it to strangers so my camera bag made a good tripod here. Well, a decent one at least.


When we arrived the fountain was drained and empty and I was sad. We went out into the gardens and got tired. But turning the corner to leave and seeing the fountain on and working helped to put a bit of spring in my step! It's the little things that make some people quite happy.

2 comments:

We Three Kings said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time! I'm so glad! Enjoy your trip and the slow eating. :) My parents have gotten so used to eating out in Europe that the waiters drive them crazy when we eat out in the states. :)

Rebekah said...

Thanks Angela! We are having a great time! I can understand why they don't like eating out in the States - I like this so much better, too! LOL